Pinterest Crafty Ideas and Recipes that Rocked (June)

I've been kind of happy with Pinterest lately. I think I mentioned this last month in a post. Well, I finally have been trying a few recipes here and there that I pinned. The ones that turn out pretty tasty are usually the dessert recipes. But I've tried a few other more adult - grown up foods that were good as well. Like some French Dip subs for example, but what I really want to share today are two crafts that I did that worked out well and one dessert.

Nutella Smores Bars

This isn't a recipe I would have gone looking for, that's why it's nice to just subscribe to a few other Pinners who like similar things and then you get some really great suggestions. This one actually came via The Cake Bar. I have been wanting to make it for a while. I even bought real Nutella because it was on sale last month. I was going to go to a Church picknick and then it got cancelled due to sucky Dutch weather. 

Well, Mark asked me to make something that he could take on a photo shoot and I thought these would be perfect... but he didn't take them because it was pretty warm outside and he thought they would be too melty and gooey. 

Honestly, my preference is to eat them cold right out of the refrigerator. I did try them warm because I couldn't wait till they were cool to eat them. I tried to hold out... but the smell was overwhelming and I gave in. Hence my photo with one square removed.

I know we don't have Graham crackers in the Netherlands, but a cheap tea biscuit called Maria's worked out great. I also used chopped up white and milk chocolate in place of the semi sweet chocolate chips. I also think chopped macadamia nuts would go really well with this dessert.

If you are going to a potluck this summer, I highly recommend this recipe. Original recipe found in the link recipe title above.


The second and third ideas that I tried are in my board labeled Activities: Kids. The funny thing is I waited until the kids were in bed to make these. It was more like my activity for the kids to use. I think I will let them help me make the melted crayons next time because the most time consuming part is peeling the labels off the crayons, and I could certainly let the kids help with that.

This idea comes from Our Best Bites - and I didn't actually find this idea via Pinterest because I have been following Our Best Bites for a while with my google reader - now The Old Reader. But I have since pinned it because it's a good way to organize all the stuff you find online with or without a reader.

I combined this idea into another crafty idea that I did find via Pinterest - crafty art tin from mint box.

What you can do with an Altoid mint tin, or in my case Barkley's mint tins. I even went out of my way to buy Barkley's mints to do this craft. I think it will be worth it. I plan on taking them to church with me on Sunday and letting the kids each have one. Normally, I have quite the stack of coloring pencils, crayongs, pens and drawing paper or coloring books or Friend magazines in my bag for the kids to do something quiet during the Sacrament service. 

I'm hoping that they can keep happy with one little tin each during the Sacrament service. And then I have a lot less crap to carry around. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Maybe when they use the psychadelic stars and heart shaped crayons up and then get to make more - they will have a better appreciation for them for the future as well. Let's hope so.


The tin craft ideas can be found at the link above "crafty aft tin from mint box"

And the melted crayon tuturial can be found at the link above "Our Best Bites"


I put one heart and one star each in each tin, along with a couple little coloring pencils/Ikea pencils, little rectangular paper and Hello Kitty stickers.

It's surprising how much stuff fits in a little tin. The great thing is I can refill the tin each week with different stickers, different colored paper, maybe I'll even include some mints for them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)

Belgian Day - Speculoos Hagel and Stoemp!