Chickpea Burrito's (Vegan)

Yesterday I decided to share my week's menu and I noticed that one of my favorite meals: Chickpea Burrito's was not only - not on my blog - it's also not to be found online - anymore. I found the original recipe via Vegweb.com and now when I go back to that site to search for it - I can't find it. It's as if the original submitter of the recipe, took it down. 



I don't know why - it's delicious - and a great alternative to black bean or pinto bean burrito's.

The original recipes was submitted by user kelly.elly and called it Refried Garbanzo Beans with Sauted Veggies Burrito. You can see why I shortened the title. I had it added at one time in my WW recipes list and it's about 4 PTS. per burrito (but I used lots less olive oil then - and had to steam my veggies instead of saute them in oil). The original recipes says it serves 3.... but from my experience it serves about 8. So, I will give my version of the recipe - which is almost exact - just a few adjustments.

Chickpea Burrito's

2 cans garbanzo beans aka chickpeas, drained and rinsed. 
         (I used about 3 cups)
1 can diced tomatoes
2 medium onions
3-4 cloves garlic
1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2-1 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
Veggies of your choice (such as):
        onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, green beans
tortilla's
salsa
optional: avocado
optional: sour cream, creme fraiche, or full-fat French kwark 
         (of course, it won't be vegan then)

Directions:
1. Chop onion and garlic finely and saute in 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil till translucent. 
2. Add half can of tomatoes and saute for 1 minute.
3. Add chick peas, teaspoon each of olive oil and lemon juice, stir, saute covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
4. Add another teaspoon lemon juice and olive oil, stir. 
5. Begin mashing chickpeas with potato masher while cooking (I use an immersion blender) You may completely blend it smooth - or leave it a bit chunky - but mash to your liking.
6. After mashing, add remaining tomatoes, cumin, paprika and chili powder. Stir.
7. I usually saute up some mixed veggies to add to my burrito, such as bell pepper, onion, zucchini, etc. (In the photo, I used what I had on hand which was chopped green beans, zucchini, and onion. I have also had this meal many times with steamed broccoli and zucchini and roasted red pepper for a healthier variation).
8. Spoon beans and veggies into a tortilla and add salsa, chopped avocado and sour cream, to your liking.

ENJOY!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

The BEST REAL Peanut Butter Cookies

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)