Mango-Ginger Relish





I never thought I would say these words: I look forward to cleaning up.


I have really never cared for cleaning. I don't like messes either, but I can live with them for a while. With children comes many many messes. I actually sing a little song for them -


"mess maker mess maker make me a mess..." (in the tune to match maker - from Fiddler on the Roof).


Anyway, lately, something has happened. I'm not sure what snapped inside me... but I like to clean. Maybe it's because I'm pretty tired of sitting around on the couch watching Dora the Explorer with the kids. 


Now every chance I get... when there is a break between cartoons, I turn off the TV and say it's clean up time. And I vacuum. I think part of it might be because we got a new (used) area rug from the thrift store (originally from Ikea). And I really like it and I like it best when it's clean from clutter and little pieces of paper and crumbs. Here's a picture of it. 




I love this rug because it's colorful and bright just like the rest of our stuff... and like my paintings :)


And like this relish - made with the freshest ingredients - red onion and mango - and tasty spices curcuma and fresh ginger. It pairs perfectly with many curry dishes and also with steamed spinach and rice.... I'd rather eat it with curry dishes though. If you don't have curcuma - then a trip to the Asian market is in order!


4 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil or palm oil
2 red onions, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, diced fine
1 teaspoon kurkuma (curcuma aka yellow root)
1 big mango, washed
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar


Heat oil in steel pan. Fry the onion till starting to color. Add in ginger and curcuma and fry further 5 minutes. Cut up mango in little blocks about 1 x 1 cm and add this to it. Stir in apple cider vinegar and let this simmer another 5 minutes. Serve with fish, meat, salad, or vegetarian dishes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

The BEST REAL Peanut Butter Cookies

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)