Indian Butter Chicken (Paleo versus Primal)

Photo credit: Mock "Indian Butter Chicken" Curry




You see, this is why I prefer the Primal Blueprint to the Paleo thing...


What's the difference...


Cheese, cream, butter... fat!   Mmmm yummy :)


Tonight I tried a recipe from Mark's Daily Apple - it was a reader submitted recipe - I was so excited to try it what with all the butter, cream and Greek yogurt in it. And I was really disappointed... and also at the same time very happy to find out that I already have the best recipe for Indian Butter Chicken - created by yours truly :)


I did a search of my blog and I've found that this recipe - that I make at least 3 times a month - is not on my blog - and that's just wrong!


This is definitely one of our family favorites - something I call real comfort food.


I must share this delicious recipe with the world.


The original recipe I got from a friend of a friend - and I liked that she put cashew butter in it - but it had way too much Garam Masala in it for my family's liking... so I reworked the recipe again and again until I came up with this one. It's less spicy but much more buttery. The cashew butter I kept - it adds some depth to it. We like to serve this with a delicious dessert like Mango Lassi. 


Here goes: 


INDIAN BUTTER CHICKEN (Primal)
Serves 4-6 hungry eaters; Main course


450 grams (1 lb.) chicken breasts, skinless, cubed
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
2 pinches cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper


Heat oil in heavy bottom pan or wok. Fry chicken and spices till browned. Remove - set aside.


1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup onion, finely diced
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
1 box (350g) Heinz Tomato Frito* (like tomato sauce)
1 can (450g) chopped tomatoes in juice
1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt**
1/4 cup cashew butter
1-2 large handfuls fresh spinach, chopped (totally optional)


Heat oil over medium flame in same pan. Saute onion till soft and translucent. Stir in butter, lemon juice, spices, bay leaf and salt. Fry for one minute. Stir in tomato sauce, canned tomatoes and yogurt. Bring to a boil. Reduce flame and simmer 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Stir in cashew butter and when tha tis well blended add the chicken back to the sauce. Stir in fresh spinach leaves and continue to cook till leaves wilted. Remove from heat and serve with cauliflower "rice" or if you are not doing the Primal thing - this is great with some Naan, Roti or bread.


*Heinz Tomato Frito contains vegetable oil and sugar. But the amount is so little that I don't fret about it.


**I like it best with Greek Yogurt - but if you don't have any on hand, I'll tell you I've tried it with coconut milk, regular milk, buttermilk, regular yogurt and on and on. To use milk or coconut milk blend together 1 1/4 cups milk with 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and let it sour about 5 minutes.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

The BEST REAL Peanut Butter Cookies

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)