Paleo/Primal Chocolate Cake



This was my first successful go at baking a Paleo/Primal chocolate cake. I actually set out to make Peanut Butter swirl brownies - a varation of... but the end result from the texture and taste of the "brownies" - it's so cake, spot on.


I found a nice looking recipe here, and then had to make some changes based on the ingredients I have and just some changes that I felt were necessary based on my feelings as a baker - and I'm experienced enough to make those changes... so... (yeah, I'd actually like to go back and make the actual brownies as she made them because I'd really like some dense peanut butter swirl brownies)... but that will be for another day!


here we go:


160 grams cashew butter (100%)
3 medium eggs
1/3 cup honey
1 large ripe banana, mashed
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda


(I did attempt the "peanut butter" swirl ingredients like this:)
1/8 cup tahini
3 tablespoons honey butter
pinch salt




1.  Preheat oven to 175-C degrees. Line a square glass baking dish (about 9-inch x 9-inch) with foil and lightly butter. Set aside.
2.  In food processor cream the cashew butter till smooth. Blend in eggs, honey, banana, and vanilla extract. 
3.  In another bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Fold into the wet ingredients and blend until combined. 
4.  Pour into prepared baking dish and smooth the surface with spatula. Bake 35-40 minutes.


(My attempt at the "peanut butter" swirl didn't really work out because it was too lumpy and not spreadable enough... perhaps that is why the previous baker used maple syrup as it's more liquid.)


On another note: these were really yummy and filling and paired nicely with vanilla ice cream... also good topped with honey butter "frosting".




Sorry for the crappy photos, Mark said he would make me a light box for my Christmas present... I'm still waiting on that one ;)


Overall, I'm very happy with the texture and taste of this cake and I'm eager to try more variations of it, like a cinnamon/ginger spice cake version which would be a great alternative to the ontbijtkoek that is loaded with sugar that we normally eat. I also liked that it rose really high and didn't taste really egg'y like some of the other baked goods I've tried thus far. Would make a nice cake to use in a trifle dessert. Pure cashew butter or any other alternative to peanut butter is really expensive so this will have to be a once in a while treat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

The BEST REAL Peanut Butter Cookies

Belgian Day - Speculoos Hagel and Stoemp!