The BEST REAL Peanut Butter Cookies

Gooey in the middle and crispy on the outside, just the way a cookie should be!

I discovered this recipe some years ago. I used to bake it nearly every month, that's how good it is. I've tried many, many peanut butter cookie recipes and this is the best by far!

You don't really need to add chocolate chips... but I just happen to get a bag full of goodies from a lady who bought all these baking supplies - American style baking supplies - from the BX, and the stuff she didn't use up before she moved back to the U.S. - was gifted to me. So the best way to show my gratitude - was to use it up!

There was a half open bag of white chocolate chips and a half open bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips... Did I mention... I love this recipe for peanut butter cookies and I threw in the chocolate chips as well. It was very yummy.

This recipe is originally vegan believe it or not. You don't really need eggs in most baked goods anyway.

But then I went and poured in all that chocolate - not really vegan anymore... but then again, neither am I - so why bother?!

(So I can save my eggs for my egg worthy recipes that's why. You know like Angel Food Cake or egg salad sandwich or fried eggs with toast... mmmm.)

You know what else was in that bag of goodies? Light Brown Sugar - brand - Domino. And Being from America - and being a sugar lover - you would think that Light Brown Sugar from Domino is like the best stuff ever. But you know what I discovered? Not all sugar brands are the same. Take this photo for instance - you can see the comparison.


brown sugar comparison

I didn't have quite enough brown sugar for the recipe. So I used up the bit of Domino Light Brown Sugar and then I used van Gilse light brown sugar (lichte bastard suiker) Do you know which is which? Which one looks better to you?

One of the brands, when packed into a cup - keeps its shape. The other just falls apart. One is more golden and fresh looking - the other dry and... well... not so fresh.

Okay, I guess you guessed which one I like best... van Gilse - the more golden sugar. Ahh... and it really is good.

So, not only is European chocolate better, in my opinion, but so is the sugar! That probably has something to do with why the chocolate is better here, too! (imho)

Unfortunately for those living outside the Netherlands who may wish to try this recipe - and I recommend you do... your cookies might not turn out as good as my cookies - because you are forced to use mediocre American brand products in your baked goods. Sorry! ;)



So, let's get down to brass tacks...

The BEST REAL Peanut Butter cookies!
source: vegweb.com (slightly adapted)


1 ¼ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup appelstroop (or molasses or maple syrup or something similar)
¾ cup peanut butter
½ cup cold margarine
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 tablespoon apple sauce
1 ¾ cup flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt

Sift flour, soda and salt in bowl, set aside. In food processor fitted with metal blade, combine sugar, stroop, peanut butter, margarine, vanilla and apple sauce. Add in flour mixture and combine again.

Scoop tablespoonful balls onto baking sheets lined with baking paper. Flatten slightly with a fork, pressing once on each side to make fork lines. Bake at 190-C degrees for 8-10 minutes. Let them harden on baking sheet before removing to cool completely.

Do not overbake - they can burn pretty quickly so keep an eye on them and don't walk away.
Makes approximately 3 dozen cookies.

Prep time: 10 minutes


This post is linked to:

Comments

Brad said…
Yea, so I just looked at these and a little saliva is dripping from the side of my mouth. thanks for that. Oh and my friend Julie that works with me here she probably will now be your friend and want to move to your guest room.
MelissaDaams said…
Sorry, Julie, I only bake like once a week... but yeah, the chocolate and sugar and a lot of other things (food and other) are very fantastic here.
Lizzy said…
This is probably the weirdest cookie recipe I've ever seen, but they look fantastic! I didn't know you could sub applestroop for molasses or maple syrup. Awesome! Have you ever eaten pb cookie cereal? Put a few cookies in a bowl, break up with a spoon and pour in the milk. It's heavenly.
Miriam said…
I'm looking at your blog with my 2 year old son and he just got excited at your cookie pictures. I don't blame him, they look delicious! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters
Tine said…
They look delicious!
You use appelstroop too. Also from a Dutch brand?

I've never used the sugar from Van Gilse. Here in Belgium we buy sugar named 'Cassonade Graeffe' (link: http://www.abbayedessaveurs.com/upload/CASSONADE%20BLONDE%20GRAEFFE%201KG.jpg) or like we say 'kindjessuiker' because of the picture of the kid on the package.
This sugar also is very fresh looking and more 'wet'. Very good!

As a child, I often ate a slice of bread with sliced banana and a spoonful of 'kindjessuiker' = lovely!
MelissaDaams said…
I always use applestroop in place of molasses or maple syrup in recipes for the simple reason - it's cheaper. And I think it always turns out delicious. Plus, I think appelstroop is much more thicker than maple syrup and it lends to a better texture in the baked goods.

@Lizzy, pb cookie cereal - nice! Don't you hate how the cereal ailes here are just so sucky. I've gotten used to not eating American breakfast cereals though... i love them.

@Tine, i'm going to try that bread,banana and kindersuiker - sounds yummy.


@Miriam, thanks!
Michelle said…
These look great. I'm definitely going to add them to my "to make" list!
These look so moist. I'm drooling just looking at them.

I'd love to have you share this recipe on my Sweet Tooth Friday linky! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/24/cream-cheese-brownies/
Jenn said…
I love peanut butter. Your picture is amazing.
MelissaDaams said…
@Jenn, you know, i took this picture with my small point and shoot camera... gotta use the "flower" setting - for upclose photos - works like a charm!
Lisa said…
Wow, that gooeyness is incredible. I agree, these do look like the best PB cookies I've ever seen. Thanks for linking them up.
Rose Dipped said…
Yum! Yum! Yum! This is really so mouth watering. I can imagine myself making this recipe while dripping some of my saliva in the side of my mouth. LOL. I can’t wait to try this.
Piano Schoenhut said…
Look at that sugar! Sweet lovers will surely love your recipe. I can imagine the taste of your peanut butter cookie and I can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing it.

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)

Belgian Day - Speculoos Hagel and Stoemp!