Sweet and Yummy Pumpkin Ice Cream

Apparently, July was national ice cream month - maybe even international... I didn't make any ice cream in July - even though it was so hot it would have been nice to make some. Here it is August - it's cooler and rainy (thank goodness - for this pregnant momma) and I finally whipped up a batch of ice cream. Pumpkin ice cream would have to be for the fall ideally but I just happened to open a can of pure pumpkin and I didn't use it all up. So I thought I'd make this simple ice cream to enjoy the rest of the week.




I got this recipe some where but I did not write down the source. I've looked in my usual places - allrecipes.com and food.com (formerly recipezaar)... and there are quite a few to go through. It's not saved in any of my online recipe boxes... and I've modified it - so I'm calling it mine.

It's really good. Really sweet - creamy - and just perfect. It's really easy to put together and contains no eggs. Here is what I did:

In a sauce pan I combined 1/2 cup low-fat milk with 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules (mine was coffee from grains aka mormon coffee - not with caffiene - sort of herbal and nutty like - similar to Postum), 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup honey1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon cardamom. Do not boil but warm so sugar, honey and spices "melt" into milk. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup canned pumpkin and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. In a separate bowl whip 200ml whipping cream just until stiff (careful not to overwhip or you could get butter). Fold this into pumpkin mix. Then pour in additional 2 cups low-fat milk and stir together. Turn on the ice cream maker and pour in this delicious concoction. It should take 35-40 minutes to come together. Then pour into a freezer container, freeze and wait!

Of course you can serve it with anything you like - you could fold in chocolate chips or white chocolate chips, chopped nuts or cranberries. I liked mine served with a chocolate brownie-cookie and a bit of Hershey's syrup on top. There you have it - Sweet and Yummy Pumpkin Ice Cream.

Comments

Chelsea Rae said…
This looks amazing!!! We are always looking for new recipes for pumpkin, thank you for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

The BEST REAL Peanut Butter Cookies

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)