Fried Plantain Sandwich - "Jibarito"

I'm due with child #3 in 22 days. Of course, the baby probably won't come for 27 days because I'm not that lucky. But this is the reason for my lack of posts this month of July. I have been cooking though - I have to otherwise, we don't eat. I'm not just baking all the time - although I have been busy with Sweet Rolls that Rock. In the last couple of weeks I have made some really yummy meals and I share one here with you today.


I call this the "Bakbanaan Broodje" in Dutch... because these green or very ripe yellow-blackish large bananas are for baking - hence "bak" "banaan." I've had the fried plantain chips a few times and those are really yummy but I wanted to try a recipe using this baking banana that was different. I set out on a search online and found this. I've made it twice now. I think it's delicious and you can pretty much use any sandwich dressings you like. We made ours today with salsa, lettuce, sprouts, fried mushrooms for my husband, and mine had vegetarian deli slice - something like "ham" and that really melty fake Cheddar plastic cheese. I actually like that stuff. Then I served it up with red rice and beans and tortilla chips. So this could be a meal for those gluten free eaters - seriously - use any sandwich fillings you like - and instead of bread - you've got a tastey fried plantain instead. It's good - fast and relatively easy. There are a few steps involved.

1. Peel plantain, cut in half, then in half lengthwise.
2. Fry in oil 2 minutes each side, then drain on paper towels.

3. Between a sheet of baking paper, with a flat bottomed glass,
smash plantain to about 1 centimeter thick.



4. Refry in oil about 2 minutes each side, then drain again on paper towels.


5. Make the recommended sandwich spread found in the link above, or for those of you who don't want to do that - simply mix in a small bowl 4 tablespoons mayo together with 1/4 teaspoon each chili, cumin, and garlic powders. Spread on sandwich together with your other fillings of choice.

Although, I still like the fried plantain chips with a nice hot sauce for dipping, this is a nice alternative if you are wondering what you can make with a baking banana :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)

Belgian Day - Speculoos Hagel and Stoemp!